internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Question about Linksys Hub ... needs constant rebooting

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Tanner Lovelace" <clubjuggler AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Question about Linksys Hub ... needs constant rebooting
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 18:07:41 -0500

Is this a WRT54G? I've heard that the default and some replacement
firmware has problems with peer-to-peer connections. Something
about it keeping a record of them for up to 5 days and eventually
you run out of ports to do anything. So, anything with an already
open connection (like the phone, which presumably keeps a connection
to the main server to be able to accept incoming calls) will still
work but anything new won't.

The article I read pointed at firmwares that didn't have the problem,
but I don't have the reference right now.

Cheers,
Tanner

On 12/20/06, Roger Austin <raustin3 AT nc.rr.com> wrote:
Susan LaBarre wrote:

> Maybe someone can help me figure out why my internet connection keeps going
> out on me. I have to unplug/replug my Linksys hub (2.4Ghz, 80211b) one or
> more times daily to reset the IP address. I have everything running through
> it, including my ethernet connector to my laptop. I only lose the internet
> and email, but not the VOIP connection to my phone even though the phone
> modem is also plugged into the hub. I unplug the hub, wait 5 seconds and
> replug it and everything works again.
>
> Anyone else run into this problem? Should I be downloading new firmware or
> buying a new hub?

We have similar issues with the Linksys. It just started to happen about
a month ago. I assumed it was probably RoadRunner. I considered
upgrading the box myself, but am trying to nail down the problem first.

--
Visit http://www.misshunt.com/ for fun and creative items including
the famous Clean/Dirty dishwasher magnet, now available in velcro.