internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] CMS Seminar

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Childers.Paula AT epamail.epa.gov
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] CMS Seminar
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 10:06:01 -0400

This isn't something that anyone has noted yet here, but I think it
worth mentioning.

I do at least some "web stuff" for several organizations with whom I
volunteer. And I know many other geekly folks who also build and/or
manage websites and such for various nonprofits and community
organizations. Yet almost all of us work full-time at other jobs, not
related to those organizations. A nonprofit has to be of pretty good
size to have paid staff, and even then, the paid staffers are often NOT
the ones who handle the "web tech," as they are hired for other skills:
organizing, lobbying, outreach, education, grantwriting, etc. The web
tech is either outsourced or handled by geek volunteers. You have to be
a pretty darn big nonprofit to have paid in-house IT staffers.

I would think those most interested in learning how to use free open
source tools like Drupal would be the smaller organizations - which
would likely mean a higher percentage of volunteer IT staff. Like me.
I'd love to learn Drupal and CiviCRM, to see if it's something I think
any of my organizations could use. But I certainly can't come to a
training event during the regular workday. Saturday, probably.
Evenings, sure. Workday? No way.

Maybe this isn't all that relevant - maybe I've misread your target
market for this. But at least it's out there for your future planning.
:-)
Best of luck,
Paula