internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] CMS Seminar (was: Re: InterNetWorkers Digest, Vol 45, Issue 12)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] CMS Seminar (was: Re: InterNetWorkers Digest, Vol 45, Issue 12)
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 22:10:53 -0400

On Oct 16, 2006, at 1:36 PM, Woozle wrote:

On Monday 16 October 2006 12:00, internetworkers- request AT lists.ibiblio.org
wrote:
We have to make a go/no-go decision by October 19 (Thursday). Unless
more people register by Thursday, we'll have to cancel.

I was interested at first glance... but, to be blunt, the price tag was a bit
off-putting. This is free, open-source software we're talking about; the
people who spent many hundreds or thousands of hours writing that software
(and its documentation, and the plug-ins and add-ons...) have freely shared
the results of their labors with the rest of us... and yet someone still
finds a way to extract income from what should be a free flow of information
surrounding those applications.

I don't have any experience with this particular trainer, but a lot of people benefit from training classes, and even if the software is open source, that doesn't mean that someone should have to spend thousands of dollars out of their own pocket to train people on it. The idea that it was ok to make money in the open source world has been there from the very beginning, and was the reason they chose to not use the name "free software" so as to avoid the confusion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Open_source_software#Open_source_software_versus_free_software

Michael Czeiszperger
Chapel Hill, NC
michael AT czeiszperger.org