internetworkers - [internetworkers] CMS Seminar (was: Re: InterNetWorkers Digest, Vol 45, Issue 12)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Woozle <internetworkers AT hypertwins.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] CMS Seminar (was: Re: InterNetWorkers Digest, Vol 45, Issue 12)
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 13:36:16 -0400

On Monday 16 October 2006 12:00, internetworkers-request AT lists.ibiblio.org
wrote:
> We have to make a go/no-go decision by October 19 (Thursday). Unless
> more people register by Thursday, we'll have to cancel.

I was interested at first glance... but, to be blunt, the price tag was a bit
off-putting. This is free, open-source software we're talking about; the
people who spent many hundreds or thousands of hours writing that software
(and its documentation, and the plug-ins and add-ons...) have freely shared
the results of their labors with the rest of us... and yet someone still
finds a way to extract income from what should be a free flow of information
surrounding those applications. Although perfectly legal, this somehow seems
very much against the spirit in which the software was created.

So, just what do potential participants get for their $80-$150? The software
itself is free, as is the documentation and access to countless support
forums and real-time chat rooms. From what I can see, participants have to
bring their own laptops, although internet is provided. We could provide the
same in our living room (as probably could many people on this list), for
maybe 5-10 people, at no cost, if they didn't mind improvising on the
seating arrangements a little bit. How much does the presenter cost? What
sort of exercises are being presented? Where is the outline of the day's
presentations, so potential presentees can decide if the information will be
useful to them?

Here are my contributions to content management know-how:

http://htyp.org/content_management_system
http://htyp.org/Drupal
http://htyp.org/MediaWiki

If anyone needs CMS help or advice, feel free to email or find me on IRC. I'm
most experienced with MediaWiki, but have installed Drupal and WordPress.

Woozle
http://wiki.hypertwins.org/Contact