internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] not able to earn a "living wage"

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] not able to earn a "living wage"
  • Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 18:43:13 -0400

On Sep 23, 2006, at 6:01 PM, matusiak wrote:

You can barely find "Entry level" computer positions anymore, as
everything Tech Support and Call Center centric has moved to distant,
cheaper shores.

Try being on the hiring end; its even harder. I'm looking to fill an entry level position working on a fairly complex Java code base, and doing occasional consulting on improving the performance of websites after a period of training on that subject. The job was advertised with a salary of $40-$50K, which seemed good for someone right out of school, and I did get about 50 resumes, but most of them have no computer, technical, engineering, or science training, even outside of work. Its a motley crew of day-care workers, high school gym teachers, Wallmart employees, etc.

I picked through the resumes with terrible grammar and mispellings and selected the top four candidates. Two of them never responded to email or phone messages, a third had just found another job, and another declined to interview after actually reading the job description.

Back to square one again.

Michael Czeiszperger
Chapel Hill, NC
michael AT czeiszperger.org