internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Converting LPs to CDs

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: ron thigpen <ron AT fuzzsonic.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Converting LPs to CDs
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 12:28:31 -0400

zman wrote:

At home I'm using my trusty 30 year old Pioneer belt-drive through my receiver/amp and pulling the tape-out into the computer. Just FYI, that's probably the easiest way to get it into a computer cheaply and cleanly.

This kind of setup is what I'd recommend.

If you already have a good quality turntable, tonearm and cartridge, all running into a receiver with decent phono stage, then all you need to do is run a line level output ("tape out") to the line inputs of your computer or sound card.

The USB output turntables I've seen usually retail for about a hundred bucks. I can't imagine the transport, tonearm or cartridge are of a very good quality. You almost certainly have much better kit already.

There is plenty of free and cheap software available to help you. You'll need to record, split tracks, and probably encode and tag. You may want to process for clicks and pops, though that can affect fidelity and may not be needed if your records are clean and undamaged.

You may also want to invest in a sound card with a better than average A/D converter.

Google on "ripping vinyl" or "ripping LP" and you'll find a lot of FAQs. Many of them will be outdated or otherwise unworthy, but at least you'll get an idea for what's involved.

And you've got to love those albums, because it's a pretty slow process.

--rt