internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Converting LPs to CDs

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Converting LPs to CDs
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 11:47:08 -0400

On Jul 24, 2006, at 11:59 AM, zman wrote:

Ok first off, maybe you should compare apples to apples. can we get the
levels measured in the same scale?

Line level is around 300mV, compared to 5mV coming off of a turntable without a pre-amp.

The DJ mixer I'm using at Kulture the phono inputs are
merely eq'd differently and the gain is adjusted via a pot. Plus it has
USB inputs and outputs so I could just pull from it. But then again you're
not an audiophile.

Note that modern turntables, especially recent DJ models have preamps built in, in which case its already outputting line level.

Anyone who's digitizing records because they bought them when they were new, and are still using a 20+ year old turntable is likely to need a pre-amp.

Yes, they do, but if you look at most quality phono pre-amps they are
nothing more than fixed eq's and an inline amp (with adjustable gain).

That's true-- the gain and impedance change are needed to take a signal in the 5mV range and turning it into a signal in the 300mV range without introducing a bunch of noise.

I think we're both right here-- I've done digital turntable recording with "old-school" turntables that just take a signal right off of the cartridge, and you're using the modern kind with more electronics built-in.

Michael Czeiszperger
Chapel Hill, NC
michael AT czeiszperger.org