internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Converting LPs to CDs

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Converting LPs to CDs
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 10:33:51 -0400

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, zman wrote:

+On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, Michael Czeiszperger wrote:
+> From a turntable? How did you handle the RIAA equalization?
+>
+> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization
+
+Hmmm... I think the article pretty much explains it all. For the most part
+even if your turntable doesn't have built in preamplification and you run
+it straight in it only takes mild eq to fix. There are plenty of plugins
+available for such things.
+

Ah, I was assuming that the RIAA spec included the output levels and impedance. If you use a phono pre-amp it should take care of both the output levels and impedance to make it match better for the now- standard inputs of an amplifier expecting a signal more like you'd get from a CD player. If you take the output directly from a turntable without a pre-amp and stick it directly into a sound card you're asking for really bad sound, even if you can undo the RIAA curve in software.

This was probably covered in an earlier post, but I didn't read 'em all...

Michael Czeiszperger
Chapel Hill, NC
michael AT czeiszperger.org