internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Triangle GTD meetup

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Rick Cecil <rickcecil AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Triangle GTD meetup
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 10:56:39 -0400

Buzz marketer? Me? No! Seriously... The system hasn't cost me a penny
(I checked the book out from the library) and I'm certainly not
selling anything to anyone.

If you have a to-do list, you part way there. The system is actually
quite simple and comes down to three things:

* Gather everything you need to do; every time you think of something
to do, write it down. (If the thing will take less than two minutes,
go ahead and do it...)

* Keep another "Next actions" list of items that you need to do. This
list should be relatively short compared to the projects list. Also,
the next action list should only include things that you can actually
do. That is, "Create workflows for new project" is not a next action
as "create workflows" is too broad an item. "Create login workflow for
new project" is better, but still not quite there. "Create first draft
of login workflow for new project" is spot on as it has a
well-defined beginning and end.

* Review your lists every week.

These simple principles are so easy yet so elusive. And I have yet to
meet two people who have implemented the system the same way. So, the
group will swap ideas on implementation, offer advice on problems
people are having, and just provide a place for like-minded geeks to
hangout. :-)

For a great overview of GTD, check article out from 43 folders

Getting started with Getting things done:
http://www.43folders.com/2004/09/getting_started.html

HTH,
Rick