internetworkers - [internetworkers] no more property rights (does anybody care?)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Marcia <msmartin AT ccbeunet.br>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] no more property rights (does anybody care?)
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 11:26:10 -0300

I was surprise to see how little coverage yesterday’s Supreme Court’s
decision; on allowing private corporations to request local governments to
seize people's homes and businesses, even against their will, for private
economic development!

What ever happened to property rights; one of the keystones in America’s
Freedom? Do you mean to tell me that, after working all their lives, and
being
able to retire, let’s say, at the beach, or anywhere else really, people can
now be forced out of their homes? Just because some builder decided that
would
be the perfect spot for him to build a resort, or a mall?

I’m really intrigued by the lack of coverage this Supreme Court decision is
getting by the media. This sets a very dangerous precedent by the highest
court of law in this country! It infringes a fundamental right! In a country
that sells freedom and liberty throughout the world, Americans seemed a lot
more outraged by having their bags and shoes inspected at airport security,
claiming "invasion of privacy" or "losing freedom"; then now, when they can
be
kicked out of their houses or businesses, at any time, just because some
builder likes its location!!!

I’m not sure why this is not getting more media attention, and why people
seem
to not really care. Maybe they don’t understand what this court decision
really means?

Sorry... but I had to get this out of my system.
Marcia

WebMail Litoral Internet
www.litoral.com.br