internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Jim's Bible of Clean Computer Ops!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: david cherryholmes <david.cherryholmes AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Jim's Bible of Clean Computer Ops!
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 08:46:09 -0500

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 08:53:28 -0500 (EST), Tom Boucher
<trekkie AT nomorestars.com> wrote:
> > Fedora Core: fedora.redhat.com/

> > Stable, nice looking, easy to use, lots of packaged applications and
> > repos for getting apps, its Good Stuff.

> At the moment SUSE is at the top of my list. Fedore Core 3 is a bit to
> beta-y for my taste. Mandrake is another nice desktop oriented one.

I started as a Solaris admin, and didn't get into linux until a few
years later. I began with Redhat, then went to SUSE, and now prefer
gentoo. I'll not assert that it is somehow "better" than the other
distros I've tried, but I like the feel of going back to my roots and
away from obfuscatory GUI apps that are writing god knows what, god
knows where. And on my hardware the start up times for typically
bloated apps like firefox are about half what they were in Suse 9.1
pro.