internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] photo negative scanning services

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Roger Austin <raustin3 AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: Evan Zimmerman <evan.zimmerman AT gmail.com>, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] photo negative scanning services
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 08:55:34 -0500

Evan Zimmerman wrote:
Sure -- we used a Nikon Coolscan V, which is a dedicated film/slide
scanner. I'm not so sure about the adapters for flatbeds, they don't
seem like they would work as well, but I can't say I have much
experience with them.

I have scanned slides in a dedicated scanner with great results.
A friend had a scanner that I used. You can do negatives the same
way. At that time 3-4 years ago, the scanners were fairly expensive,
but now they are fairly inexpensive to purchase (~$600-$1,000).
The optical density should be what you look at and 2400 should be
the lowest dpi to use. If the scanner allows a variety of levels,
do a roll on various settings to see if the results are usable for
your purposes before doing the remainder of your rolls. (If you are
like me, you have hundreds or thousands of rolls.)
It may be possible to ask around if anyone would let you borrow
one or rent one. The biggest issue is that you need to make sure
your slides or negatives are clean and that you have feces-load of
disk space. I had an assembly line of scanning and burning CDs so
that I didn't run out of disk space. I still had times of sitting
around waiting for the CDs to burn (remember that this was 3-4
years ago when burning CDs took 30-40 minutes each.)
If you have a lifetime of negatives to scan, I advise you to do
it yourself. It would be worth buying the scanner and then reselling
it after you finish. Another word of advice: Don't start playing
with the files until you finish all your scanning. You can spend
the rest of your life playing with the files.

--
Visit http://www.misshunt.com/ for fun and creative items including
the famous Clean/Dirty dishwasher magnet, now available in velcro.