internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] parade in Chapel Hill

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Greg Cox <glcox AT pobox.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] parade in Chapel Hill
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:10:36 -0400 (EDT)

> If I'm part of a group that's oppressed, wants to draw attention to
> itself, show that they're not ashamed of something, etc... a parade such
> as the NC Pride Parade is a good way to constructively do this.
>
> Historically, the early reaction to this sort of parade was violence,
> even murder. Things are progressing, but it's slow going.
> Counter-parades are very mild form of assault, but it's still a direct
> opposition to acceptance, a plea for the status quo, and as such (and
> given its history) is intentionally hurtful to the affected group.
>
> I'm sure that the growing acceptance of the GLBT community into the
> mainstream is upsetting to many people, particularly stupid, ignorant
> people.

Which, I'd say makes them a group that feels oppressed, wants to draw
attention to itself, etc. As always, the great fear of any majority
is their eventual slide into minoritydom.

Saying they're not entitled to their march, labeling it as a form of
assault, only fuels the paranoia that "that thar Kuh-Weeer Kulture is-a
gonna wreck th' Murikun Fambly."

If it bugs you, go walk with them. Be sure to wear your "Friend of the
Family" or "I'm not gay but my boyfriend is" shirt.

-G "just don't get het up about it" C