internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] price of gasoline

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Winslow Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] price of gasoline
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 15:53:33 -0400

On Thursday, August 28, 2003, at 02:21 PM, Beckett wrote:

I know that I shouldn't be whining, since our gasoline prices are but a fraction of what the rest of the developed world pays. But it still pisses me off.

Gasoline costs are only a small part of the picture given the many other costs of supporting a car-centric society that are paid for out of general federal and local tax funds. The Santa Cruz Regional Transportation Commission estimates the true cost of automobile transportation to be $1.19 per mile, with 86.3 cents a mile in direct costs paid by the car owner, and 32.9 cents a mile paid for out of general taxes. The cost would actually go up if you purchase more expensive vehicles. At an average of 15K miles a year that I drive, that comes to an annual cost of $17,850.

Michael Czeiszperger
http://webperformanceinc.com
Website Load Testing, Stress Testing, and Performance Monitoring Software