internetworkers - [internetworkers] gorilla suit joke

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Paul Jones <pjones AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: labratz AT metalab.unc.edu
  • Subject: [internetworkers] gorilla suit joke
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 14:30:39 -0400 (EDT)

a friend, who has no worn a gorilla or even a chicken suit, sends this
joke:

So: An out of work actor reads a want ad for "actor wanted to play
gorilla". Answering it, he finds himself speaking with the director of
the local zoo who explains"We've spent so much money re-furbishing the
exhibits and buildings that we have no money left in the budget to buy a
gorilla. People want to see a gorilla. Job's fairly easy- we've got a
gorilla suit, you get to eat a lot of bananas provided by the zoo, have to
scrape your knuckles on the ground when you walk around, and get to swing
on the vines we've installed."
"I can do that," says the starving actor, and goes out to the zoo and
does. But as he's swinging on one of the vines, he gets so "up" about the
whole experience that he lets go of the vine and lands himself in the next
exhibit space adjacent to the gorilla space.
It is, unfortunately, the lion's den;the lion fixes him with a fierce
glare. Even though he's wearing his gorilla suit, the actor begins to
shake. Then he begins to pray "Shema, Yisrael, Adonai Elohenu, Adonai,
Ehud",* to which the lion responds, "Boruch Shem K'vod, Mal chu so, L'ay
alom vo-ed", and then, from the next exhibit over, the elephant raises his
trunk and says "Shut up, you guys, or we will all be out of work!"

*the holiest prayer of praise to God and the prayer a Jew is supposed to
say before dying. Transl. "Hear O Israel, the Lord is our God, the Lord is
One" and then the second part, "Blessed is God's glorious Kingdom,
forever and ever."

My phonetic rendering of the Hebrew is no doubt incorrect-- but if you're
telling the joke, it should suffice.