internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] gorilla suit joke

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] gorilla suit joke
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 15:45:16 -0400

on Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 03:24:46PM -0400, Scott Lundgren wrote:

> >Ehud",* to which the lion responds, "Boruch Shem K'vod, Mal chu so, L'ay
> >alom vo-ed", and then, from the next exhibit over, the elephant raises his
>
> Can you clue me on what the lion said too?

He did:

> and then the second part, "Blessed is God's glorious Kingdom,
> forever and ever."

It's complicated.

http://www.aishdas.org/webshas/tefillah/shema/general.htm

Also, it should be "Baruch shem kevod malchuto leolam va'ed" or similar
- some versions have "malchuso", "malkhuso", "l'Olam", "kivod", etc.

Baruch - blessed
Shem - name
Kivod - glory, glorious
Olam - world
Malchuto - God's sovereignty

It's complicated because classical Hebrew, like Arabic and Aramaic and
the other languages of the Levant don't have vowels, just marks to
indicate the vowel sound that should follow each consonant; this has
been put forth to explain the word "JeHoVaH", or Tetragrammaton (for
"four marks" or "four letters") which is a fiction created by accident
by early translators of the Hebrew Bible - the more accurate name is
"YahWeh", or, alternately, "Elohim" or "Adonai" or "Allah", depending on
which of the One Gods you're referring to, and in what language, in
what time period.

I asked a friend in college to teach me some useful Yiddish phrase or
another, and she thought for a minute and said "Oy! Yezchiviz Timi
Vai!". After I'd learned it, she told me what it meant - "Oh, how my
joints ache". Heh. Apparently her grandmother said it every morning,
and Alix thought it must be a prayer. That confusion was removed long
afterward, and it always stuck in her head, and hence, in mine. And,
now, may it stick in yours.

Mazel Tov,
Steve

Book publishing is second only to furniture delivery in slowness. -b. schneier