internetworkers - [internetworkers] Re: 6 great gorilla suit movies

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jim Allman <jim AT ibang.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Jim Allman <jim AT ibang.com>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Re: 6 great gorilla suit movies
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 12:28:24 -0400

On Thursday, July 31, 2003, at 12:04 PM, K. Jo wrote:
There was a great bit a few weeks back on Whad'ya Know which
featured people calling in and talking about when they were mascots/suited
up and, generally, the horrible things little kids would do to them. This
was after the Sausage Mascot Fiasco in Milwaukee.

My story? You want my story? (apologies to The Jerk)

As a second-grader, I was recruited one afternoon to be Smokey the Bear for my elementary school's "let's all learn about fire" day. I guess I was flattered to be chosen, but (like my Confirmation several years later) it didn't really feel like an offer I could refuse.

So there I was, a midget Smokey greeting the nippers and shaking hands. Everything was going pretty well, and it felt weird to look out the eye-holes and see all my classmates, who didn't know it was me. I suppose they thought I was *him*. I think at that age we were just starting to question the reality of guys like Count Chocula and ol' Smokey.

So I was this kind of taciturn Smokey (he works in the woods all day, y'know), just saying things like "Hi" and "Yep" and shaking hands--just trying to get it over with--when one of the little bastards grabs my furry Smokey mitten and yanks it clean off.

I don't remember exactly what happened next, only the feeling that I'd failed the mission, with my little pink kid-hand dangling for all to see. It was the end of innocence for many in the room, I'm sure.

=jimA=

  • [internetworkers] Re: 6 great gorilla suit movies, Jim Allman, 07/31/2003