internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Domain name registration history?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: Internetworkers List <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Domain name registration history?
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 10:58:26 -0500

on Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 10:47:33AM -0500, K. Jo Garner wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Steven Champeon wrote:
>
> ->on Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 09:30:28PM -0500, K. Jo Garner wrote:
> ->> Greetings,
> ->>
> ->> Is there any service which will give a history on domain names?
> ->
> ->Nope. If it's not in archive.org, you're out of luck.
>
> No, I don't want to see former versions of a website, just the domain
> registry history. How come you can trace ownership of a car but not a
> domain name?

Because the whole idea of "expiry" is recent, foisted upon us by an
uncaring monopolist and a negligent government, and because nobody ever
thought to make it a feature of whois searches?

When I was doing my scans for the namespace project, it really hindered
my progress, as a lot of registrars don't even bother to keep the
"first registered" data up to date after the domain is transferred.

http://hesketh.com/schampeo/projects/namespace/

Book publishing is second only to furniture delivery in slowness. -b. schneier