internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] ?s about Salary Info

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Thomas C. Meggs" <tom AT plik.net>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] ?s about Salary Info
  • Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 21:17:30 -0500

Michael Winslow Czeiszperger wrote:

If you plug in a typical right-out-of-school starting salary of
$45K/year in Raleigh, you'd have to make $142K/year in San Francisco to make up for the cost of living. (Note: the $45K figure was just pulled out of the air for comparison.)

I can't help but feel like you are a little off with your numbers. I lived in SF for a bit a couple years ago, and I lived rather comfortably with a decently sub $100k salary.

I admit SF has some advantages, but is it worth taking a huge pay cut to live there?

I think SF is great if you are young. There is a tremendous influx of people just out of school from all over the place, and lots of opportunities to be active in whatever your interests may be. It is also a much truer example of our 'smashing pot' of culture (not melting pot, the phrase given to me by a Phillipino ex-co-worker, heh).

Also to offset the cost, consider that if you live in the city you don't really need a car, in fact it is much more often a burden then a convenience.

Regards,
Tom

--
$Id: .sig,v 1.18 2002/10/12 20:27:23 tom Exp $

pub 1024D/87F1C20F 2001-11-15 Thomas C. Meggs <tom AT plik.net>
Key fingerprint = 5E9A D535 B9DA A889 984B 9654 2025 409B 87F1 C20F
http://plik.net/tom/publickey.php

"Dictators ride to and fro upon tigers which they dare not
dismount. And the tigers are getting hungry."
-- Sir Winston Churchill