internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] ?s about Salary Info

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Winslow Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] ?s about Salary Info
  • Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 12:49:58 -0500

On Monday, November 4, 2002, at 12:24 PM, Anthony J Bull wrote:

Yeah, yeah, I know, living in SF is expensive. To figure out whether I'll
be able to afford it, I'm trying to answer the following questions:

In addition to those web sites, I recommend the book the Places Rated Almanac as a good source of hard information in which to compare areas. The last edition was published in 1999, so its a little out of date, but the comparative values like cost of living should still be fairly accurate, and it takes into account a lot more than just the cost of living.

>I've already looked on Salary.com, SalaryExpert.com, and Monster.com.

If you plug in a typical right-out-of-school starting salary of $45K/year in Raleigh, you'd have to make $142K/year in San Francisco to make up for the cost of living. (Note: the $45K figure was just pulled out of the air for comparison.)

Its been a while (~12 years) since I lived in that area, so I don't know if this has changed, but when I was there the salaries weren't near being high enough to offsite the cost of living. For example, I actually got a pay raise when moving from SF to Raleigh, which amounted to more than doubling my salary when taking into account the cost of living.

I admit SF has some advantages, but is it worth taking a huge pay cut to live there?

michael at czeiszperger dot org
Chapel Hill, NC