internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Old Houses

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Rachel Cox <rachel AT hesketh.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Old Houses
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 14:27:26 -0500

At 01:54 PM 10/30/2002 -0500, Josef Komenda wrote:
[snip]
>I know for myself, working
>on something 'real' on the weekends is a very refreshing change from the
>pseudo-reality of the internet. I guess a bigger question is, what do you do
>to engage in reality?

Brazilian jiu-jitsu! :D I train every Monday and Wednesday evening at the Raleigh Institute of Martial Arts with Jason Culbreth of Team ROC, and let me tell you, there's nothing like it for bringing you back into your body after a day spent entirely in your head. It's fun, physical, involves no computers, and the people are great. It's a huge amount of fun. If your only exposure to it has been through something like the UFC, let me assure you it's not all about big guys slamming each other around a ring - everyone I've met through the sport is amazingly nice, helpful, and enthusiastic, and more and more women are getting involved, too. People tend to assume it's terribly painful, but while it's sometimes really uncomfortable, it rarely *hurts* (though you will be sore the next day). And since it's all grappling, there are no strikes - no one gets hit. Which is nice. I've never done anything remotely athletic before - the quintessential "last one picked for the team" - so don't assume you have to already be athletic to do it. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Cheers!
-Rachel
Rachel Cox | Web Developer | 919.834.2552 x16 | hesketh.com/inc
Image is only the beginning. Knowledge is profitable.
http://www.hesketh.com/proof/white_papers/