internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] tech circus -- reviews?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Judy Hallman <hallman AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] tech circus -- reviews?
  • Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 15:18:39 -0400 (EDT)

RTPnet had a booth at tech circus. We made a lot of good contacts, both
with people who came to the booth and with people in other user groups who
had booths nearby. I would like to do this again next year.

There was no charge for the booth. We didn't ask for it until Sept. 22,
and they still let us have one. It was nicely set up and had lots of
electricity (for fans as well as computers). We really appreciated the
booth. During quiet times, we got to do some needed planning. In contrast,
a booth for one day at the Annual Assistive Technology Expo in Raleigh,
Oct. 31, costs $100, and requests for tables had to be in by Sept. 16.
Tables at the NCEITA conference Wednesday in Winston-Salem are listed as
$500.

The Internet connection was very slow to non existent, but at least there
was a connection.

The idea of having a free day for kids and teachers (Friday) was a very
good one. I think school children as volunteers can help community
technology centers, so we were recruiting the kids as well as adults.

The kids seemed to have a good time.

I went to a couple of presentations Saturday and thought they were very
good.

I was impressed with the variety of topics for presentations and the bios
of the speakers, the computer setups, the large number of people in
Lulu T shirts and their willingness to be helpful.

With regard to food, I suggest that next year they just put up signs
sending people to the Greek Festival. The food there was great! I saw
several Lulu T shirts there on Sunday.

Although it seemed pretty busy to me on Friday, Saturday was very quiet
while I was there, but that was during the NCSU football game.

I suspect the cost far exceeded the income. Perhaps next year
InternetWorkers can help promote the circus.

Judy Hallman (hallman AT rtpnet.org, http://www.rtpnet.org/hallman)
Executive Director, RTPnet, NC (http://www.RTPnet.org/)