internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] tech circus -- reviews?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Lisa C. Boyd" <lisa AT grassunderfoot.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] tech circus -- reviews?
  • Date: 30 Sep 2002 11:11:54 -0400

I just want to say up front that I also worked at the circus :) and I'm
more than happy to combine any other comments (good or bad) with the
ones I already have. Some of the staff will be debriefing with
supervisors and giving feedback this week.

On Sat, 2002-09-28 at 22:28, Michael Winslow Czeiszperger wrote:
> The event had some bright spots like the local robotics group
> demonstrations and the LAN gaming, but overall it was pretty
> amateurish.

Just have to say again and again - this is the first one :) Hopefully
they'll take our suggestions and improve the show. Just so you know -
they did improve some things from Friday to Sunday.

> Here's a glossary of terms that might help:
>
> Experience - Circus speak for presentation that costs money. A typical
> vendor presentation is an extra $12-$16
> Attractions - Events that don't cost money.
> Peanuts - Tickets, $4 a pop. Theatre - Group of chairs

The marketing on this wasn't quite what it should've been. I can't tell
you how many times I had to explain all of this to people coming in!

> 1. Train the workers. I went to the Maya "theatre" and the workers
> there couldn't tell me what Maya was. The response was "I think its
> software". I had to boot up my laptop and use the wireless network to
> find out. It was hard to pick up my tickets since I purchased them
> online.

At least you had network access - right? I absolutely agree with
training the workers better. We received some training which was very
interesting, but I would've liked to have known more before the show
began. Also - the Will Call window was a wreck Friday. They did spread
it out onto tables and into sections to better handle the crowd - so I
think they'll remember for next time!

> 2. Give out a schedule and map at the door so the customers can find
> their way around. The schedule should include not only times, but a
> couple of paragraph descriptions of the events, short speaker bios,
> and the cost.

Absolutely improtant!! Friday night they had a new schedule printed up
for Saturday with peanuts listed next to experiences and a detailed map
on the back. That helped tremendously!! There was still confusion on the
timeline, but that's just something else to work out.

> 3. Put up signs on each venue so that the customers can tell where
> they are. The signs should be large enough to see across the room, and
> mounted higher than 6 feet high so they can be seen even if there's a
> crowd around it.

Good point!

> 4. CLIMATE CONTROL

I've already responded to this on another list so I'll keep it brief
here - I'm not sure why they had it in the Jim Graham building (whether
money or something else), but we tried to make it bearable. Friday was
the worst day for the heat. Saturday - the heat wasn't noticeable at
all. Sunday it started to get hot again. Hopefully next year the JG
building will have air or they'll have it somewhere else.

> 5. Provide food

Another good point. Do you think they should've sold real peanuts? :)

Michael - just want to say that I'm glad that you've shared your
opinions with everyone. I'll make sure they get to some of the people in
charge!

Lisa B.