internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Where to take a wireless laptop?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Where to take a wireless laptop?
  • Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 12:43:56 -0400

on Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 11:51:38AM -0400, Michael Winslow Czeiszperger wrote:
> I ordered my first wireless laptop computer and was wondering if
> there's any public places around here where you can access a network?
> I'd heard that some coffee shops, for example, have wireless networks,
> but how do you know which ones? (I live in Chapel Hill and work in N.
> Raleigh)

Grab yerself a copy of Macstumbler once you get the laptop:

http://homepage.mac.com/macstumbler/

I found some dozen or so wide open nets just driving from my office to
my house; I'm sure there are thousands of them around RTP. YMMV.

> The specific laptop I'm getting is a Powerbook G4, and I'm trying to
> decide on the OS. I'm using Linux right now, and have the option of
> either using some of the same Linux programs on OSX (like KDE) or just
> installing a Linux distribution...

I've been using OS X since the early public beta days and had Yellow
Dog installed in a triple-boot config for a while, and found that as
soon as OS X 10.0 came out, I never booted back into Linux again. I
just saw no need. You can always do a dual- or triple-boot config with
YDL as an option, if you feel like you want to have Linux around for
some reason, or for testing, etc. It's actually pretty easy, if you
have the patience to dig around the 'Net for people's bootscript files.
Here's the one that handles dual boot of OS X and OS 9:

<CHRP-BOOT>
<COMPATIBLE>
iMac,1 PowerMac1,1 PowerMac2,1 PowerMac2,2 PowerMac3,1 PowerMac3,2
PowerMac3,3 PowerMac5,1 PowerBook1,1 PowerBook2,1 PowerBook2,2 PowerBook3,1
PowerBook3,2
</COMPATIBLE>

<DESCRIPTION>
OSX/OS9 Boot Chooser
</DESCRIPTION>
<BOOT-SCRIPT>
" get-key-map" " keyboard" open-dev $call-method
dup 20 dump
3 + c@ 10 = if
" Booting MacOS X ..." cr " boot hd:9,\\System\\:tbxi" eval
else
" Booting MacOS ..." cr " boot hd:9,\\System\ Folder\\:tbxi" eval
then
</BOOT-SCRIPT>
</CHRP-BOOT>

Here's one that I used for a year or so to triple-boot YDL, OS X, and OS 9:

<DESCRIPTION>
Yellow Dog Linux Boot Chooser
</DESCRIPTION>
<BOOT-SCRIPT>
" get-key-map" " keyboard" open-dev $call-method
dup 20 dump
3 + c@ 10 = if
" Booting MacOS X ..." cr " boot hd:10,\\:tbxi" eval
then
" get-key-map" " keyboard" open-dev $call-method
dup 20 dump
2 + c@ 80 = if
" Booting MacOS 9 ..." cr " boot hd:9,\\:tbxi" eval
then
" get-key-map" " keyboard" open-dev $call-method
dup 20 dump
1 + c@ 01 = if
" Booting Linux ..." cr " boot hd:9,\\yaboot" eval
then
5 + c@ 08 = if
" Booting Linux ..." cr " boot hd:9,\\yaboot" eval
else
" Booting MacOS ..." cr " boot hd:9,\\:tbxi" eval
then
</BOOT-SCRIPT>

It's up to you to figure out how you want/need to config your disks,
etc. but here's some info I wrote up when I finally got mine working:

http://jaundicedeye.com/treble-boot-powerbook.txt

But as I said, I stripped YDL off my Powerbook once I realized it'd
been six months or more since I bothered to boot into it.

hth,
Steve