internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] [Jobboard Posting]

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: David Minton <dminton AT mindspring.com>
  • Cc: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] [Jobboard Posting]
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 22:10:16 -0400

Alas, I'm totally serious. The "independent sales" positions and the target market jibe with some actual scams I have encountered recently in my lawyer role. And yeesh, look at this site.

"Joe E. Bennett, our president, chief software engineer and equity trader has been developing software since 1986, first using BASIC, then Pascal on PCs running MS-DOS." Well, buddy, I was writing code in BASIC and Pascal years before you, but that doesn't make me a software engineer. And equity trader? What a combination.

http://cheravally.home.mindspring.com/about.html

Offices in Raleigh and Las Vegas. Hmmn. The latter is consistent with the day trading aspect, at least.

The scams I have encountered involve selling a cookie-cutter website at a high price to small businesses and individuals. The deal usually involves a contract hosting for several years. The payment is monthly, but accomplished through financing from a third party. The scamsters generate a receivable for the third party, pocket the cash, and the "lender" collects the money -- at credit card interest rates. If you're unhappy, you can't quit paying because you've already paid in advance and the "lender" has nothing to do with the folks that sold you the site.

In all honesty, it doesn't look like this guy is currently taking that approach. But I wouldn't be surprised ....

TaB