internetworkers - Re: Infighting in the Linux camp??

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tanner Lovelace <lovelace AT wayfarer.org>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Infighting in the Linux camp??
  • Date: 29 May 2002 18:19:14 -0400

On Wed, 2002-05-29 at 17:55, zzd wrote:
> Consolodation in this kind of market is inevitable and should be seen as
> good
> thing, so long as it creates competition and leaves you with a choice.
> Since
> there are literally hundreds of Linux distributions, some well known like
> RedHat, Debian and Madrake (my favorite), choice should <gasp>never</gasp>
> be
> an issue.
>
> If Suse, Caldera and TurboLinux pull together and combine their strengths
> create a better more powerful distribution, then that is just one more
> 'mighty' weapon with which micro$uck needs to defend themselves against and
> creates a stronger Linux community.
>
> Remember, Linux is more about freedom of choice that is is about being
> anti-microsoft - that is for the zealots.
>
> <accent>LINUX ROOOLZZZE!!! </accent>

I think the thing to remember her is that due to the nature
of linux, what one vendor does, so can another. Look at Mandrake.
They started as redhat with KDE. Since then they've gone
on to become a very good distribution in their own right. I think
what these organizations are trying to do, rather than attack
Redhat, is show some leadership. For quite a long time, Redhat
has been the "standard" version of linux for most businesses.
If, however, they can come up with a more standards compliant
version perhaps redhat will have to play catch up. This is
competition at it's best and I believe the real winner here will
be the consumer because it almost certainly will mean more
choices that work well together.

Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace AT wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/