internetworkers - Re: Evil plants

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Josef Komenda" <joe AT komejo.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Evil plants
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 11:04:50 -0400

The Toxicodendron family of plants causes reactions in about 85% of the
population, usually after multiple contacts. One must presume that some
folks (the 15% that don't react) could make a salad out of the stuff,
whereas in other, more sensitive people, you could bring on kidney failure.
If you're immune, there's no reason to eat it, and if you're not, you'll
just accelerate hypersensitivity. So, it's probably a bad idea.

Source: http://my.webmd.com/content/article/1680.51772

This would also account for firefighters who experience no reaction.

Thanks,
Joe K