internetworkers - Re: Evil plants

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "K. Jo Garner" <kelly AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Evil plants
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 13:29:25 -0400 (EDT)

Well, since we're talking about grilling and plants...

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, David R. Matusiak wrote:
->2. please do not touch any poisonous plants while doing your yardwork. it
is
->spring and everything is in bloom. beware the urushiol oil.

You can eat the poison ivy leaves (very carefully - don't touch the sides
of your mouth w/it, start w/small leaves and work to larger ones) which
will give you a more-or-less immunity to minimal contact with the oil. Of
course, some people have a "disastrous" reaction to this, so it's not the
preferred method of prevention.
http://wwmag.net/Pages/pivy.htm

There is also a product called Tecnu which I saw in the CVS near calamine
and other anti-itch stuff -- basically, you apply before you go out in
woods or what have you, or just after you come into contact, and it
breaks the oils down before penetrating the skin.

Or, look near the poison ivy for jewelweed (nature's anti-poison ivy
plant). kind of neat how it grows where needed.
http://altnature.com/jewelweed_photo_page.htm

Cheers
KJ

----