internetworkers - Re: wireless LAN for the home

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Scott Morris <scmorris AT ifndef.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: wireless LAN for the home
  • Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 12:30:43 -0600 (CST)

> Hey,
>
> I want to set up a wireless LAN inside my house for my two PC laptops
> running
> MS. Planning to change the stronger laptop in to a machine with both
> Linux/XP
> when I get the chance.
>
> Any advice? What are the best wireless hubs and network cards?

i just bought a linksys WAP and 2 linksys pcmcia wireless cards.
everything is working great. the linksys cards are supported by linux as
well as all(?) of the winders variants. i'm still not running 128bit WEP
because my linux box doesn't seem to want to talk 128bit.

> Other info: I have RoadRunner coming in to the house, and the shell of the
> house is brick.

i have roadrunner as well. your best option (if you don't already have a
firewall box) is the WAP+router+firewall that linksys and others sell.

> I also have two new UNIX machines at home: a Sparc 5 and a Linux box. I
> assumed that I would just put them on wire, but I'm curious if I would be
> able
> to hook up the Sparc to a wireless network. I can't think of any real
> advantage to doing this beyond the "cool" factor, but maybe someone can
> point
> an advantage out to me.

i got ahold of an ISA card with 2 pcmcia slots at made a desktop machine
wireless. works well with linux, it just thinks the desktop is a laptop.
good luck with the sparc on wireless.

--
Scott Morris
scmorris AT ifndef.com