internetworkers - wireless LAN for the home

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Michael D. Thomas" <mdthomas AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: wireless LAN for the home
  • Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 12:42:05 -0500

Hey,

I want to set up a wireless LAN inside my house for my two PC laptops running
MS. Planning to change the stronger laptop in to a machine with both Linux/XP
when I get the chance.

Any advice? What are the best wireless hubs and network cards?

Other info: I have RoadRunner coming in to the house, and the shell of the
house is brick.

I also have two new UNIX machines at home: a Sparc 5 and a Linux box. I
assumed that I would just put them on wire, but I'm curious if I would be able
to hook up the Sparc to a wireless network. I can't think of any real
advantage to doing this beyond the "cool" factor, but maybe someone can point
an advantage out to me.

Thanks!