internetworkers - Re: Replace YahooGroups?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Judy Hallman <hallman AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: Mark Smith <w4chl AT mindspring.com>, Jeff Foarde <foarde AT email.unc.edu>, Charles Hall <Charles.Hall AT sas.com>
  • Subject: Re: Replace YahooGroups?
  • Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 10:47:10 -0500 (EST)

Lance,

RTPnet is trying to provide replacements for YahooGroups (See
http://www.rtpnet.org/rtpnet/goals/, #2), but we could use some help.

RTPnet changed from free to fee-based in 1997. Current charge is $50 per
year, though the Board is looking at increasing that slightly. Members
are nonprofits, clubs, etc. No personal or commercial members. No ads on
RTPnet's pages. Income is used to support community technology center
efforts.

RTPnet provides Web hosting and e-mail lists (Majordomo). We have Phorum
installed but haven't promoted it yet. We don't understand all its
capabilities. See http://www.rtpnet.org/phorum/list.php?f=42
Phorum seems to have file capabilities, though I don't think anyone has
used them yet.

Would you and other Internetworkers be willing to help us with this
project?

I'm copying Mark Smith and Jeff Foarde. Both have offered to help with
Phorum. And Charles Hall, who is our System Administrator.

Judy Hallman (hallman AT rtpnet.org, http://www.rtpnet.org/hallman)
Executive Director, RTPnet, NC (http://www.RTPnet.org/)