internetworkers - RE: Replace YahooGroups?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jay Cuthrell <jay AT fudge.org>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Replace YahooGroups?
  • Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 10:37:27 -0500

On 01 April 2002 at 08:54AM, Joanna Wolfe (919)677-0977 <wolfe AT oup-usa.org>
said:
> What latest round of bull, the newly revised privacy policies,
> or the fact that all my postings from last week were bounced
> five days later - after I complained that the posting engine
> was definitely hosed?

There was some problem with security and permissions when this
change took place. The Dekana group (former NCSU music artists)
had a post from a person that was not a member of the group.

The post was a newbie that clicked on the post link and it worked
even though the group settings have always been set to only allow
confirmed group members to post. This was not malice. It was a
combination of ignorance and the fact that the application allowed
this action to be performed.

My guess is the code deployed last week was not tested for all
the settings and conditions of groups. My next guest would be this
won't be the last time it happens.

The list owner was -not- amused and he has disabled all posting
now until another list management system is available.

-Jay

Jay Cuthrell http://fudge.org/
ICQ #4663668 CU/iVisit: Fudge IRC/AIM/TIK/Yahoo: Qthrul