internetworkers - Re: Sending email via RR when away from home

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Ron Thigpen <rthigpen AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sending email via RR when away from home
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 12:56:56 -0500

Getting to your inbound mail (hosted by your ISPs POP3 or IMAP server) should work just fine. Just set it up the same as you would from home.

Sending mail through an outbound relay (the SMTP server) is generally trickier as you move about. Most dial-up ISPs try to prevent spammers from using their SMTP servers by checking that the IP address of the sender is in the block of addresses that they assign to a customer when they dial in. When you are on the road, you won't have an IP that they will allow.

RoadRunner presumably needs to work a bit differently, as they are a hardwired ISP and you don't have the option of dialing in when on the road. Roadrunner's local SMTP server (smtp-server.nc.rr.com) is configured to use username:password authentication. No matter where you are on the network, you should be able to send outbound messages by configuring my mail client to use auth, setting your username (mail account PID), and responding to the password challenge when you send the first message in a mail client session.

Mail client software support and behavior will, naturally, vary. I've used this setup with NC 4.7x and Moz 0.9.6 mail, and it works just fine. This assuming that the RR.com servers are alive and responding...

--rt

art2mis AT nc.rr.com wrote:

It seems to me that recently, someone explained how this might be achieved - without necessarily setting up our own POP3 server. As I travel all the time, I'd really love to be able to send and respond to emails using my RoadRunner account when I'm not actually connected to RoadRunner. Can anyone enlighten me how this may be done?