internetworkers - continuous partial attention

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Demers <ddemers7 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: continuous partial attention
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 18:24:15 -0500

dave p. wrote:

"Funny. Continuous partial attention has been a major aspect in my wife's
family since well before the technological revolution. Her mother can
skillfully watch TV, fold laundry and carry on two conversations at once."

i remember reading a while back that women are more skilled at multi-tasking than men and that this was proven scientifically. can anyone back this up?

wouldn't surprise me. for instance, while talking to someone on the phone, my g/f can simultaneously answer questions that i might throw her way. personally, i find the prospect of trying to put up with someone asking me questions while i'm speaking to someone else on the phone abhorrent.
--

- david demers

<blink>arghhh</blink>