internetworkers - Re: continuous partial attention

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: <laura AT cnewsgroup.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: continuous partial attention
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 10:54:34 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Dave Parker <vividp AT email.msn.com>
To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2001 10:34 PM
Subject: [internetworkers] Re: continuous partial attention

> Thomas wrote:
>
> > The catchphrase that seems to have captured the zeigeist
> > is the concept of "continuous partial attention
>
> Funny. Continuous partial attention has been a major aspect in my wife's
> family since well before the technological revolution. Her mother can
> skillfully watch TV, fold laundry and carry on two conversations at once.

Ahh...the skills we active Mother's tend to carry. I can email, talk on
the phone, hand signal my teenage daughter to finish homework, and warn my
son to leave his sister alone all at once. Remember the song "I can bring
home the bacon...."

However I have pulled back lately and found that leaving my computer, cell
phone off on weekends, allowing the kids to answer the phones. I sit down
in my bed and read a good book. Ahh...escapism is wonderful.

Laura Newberg