internetworkers - Re: continuous partial attention

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: robert AT designhammer.com
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: continuous partial attention
  • Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 19:18:46 -0500

Hey Tom,

I've noticed this for quite some time. The more "time saving" technology I
have in my life the less free time I have ;-)

When I was a cabinetmaker living in NYC it seemed I had a ton of times on my
hands to explore all of my various interests and a lot of time for quiet
reflection. There were actually different parts of the day back then,
morning, the work day, evening and night time.

Now usually the first thing I see in the morning and the last thing I see at
night before bed is a computer, and all through the day there is the
computer or the Handspring or the cellphone. If one of these goes down or
has problems its panic time.

On the flip side of that most of what I have in my life these days was
directly brought about by my involvement with the Internet and computers. I
met my wife through the Lynda Weinmann listserv. I now live in North
Carolina because of that. I found my 1969 MG and my 2000 Ford Ranger though
searches on the web. I can now work at home. The ways technology has shaped
my life in just the past six years is profound.

So its a mixed bag at best. My wife and I have found that we need to make a
serious effort to find the quiet times for ourselves. We spend weekends
camping, canoeing and kayaking. Just two days at a time away from all of
these technological wonders can do wonders for clearing out our heads. Oh
yeah we found our canoe and camper on line..........

I hope this made some sense, I couldn't really concentrate on what I was
writing as I'm doing a million things at the moment ;-)

Robert Weeks

Partner:Technology
DesignHammer Media Group, LLC
919-419-0969 - phone