internetworkers - Fraud

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Joe Komenda" <joe AT komejo.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Fraud
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 09:01:48 -0400

Hey,

I recieved an e-mail this morning that apprears quite fraudulent; see
below. A little sluething found the following:
http://members.boardhost.com/macdani/msg/2.html (altavista translation
confirms that it's the same letter with a different name.)

My question is, where should one go to report such things?

Joe K

=================

Residencial Address:
# 28 Obianodo Street,
Achara Layout,
Enugu, Enugu State.
Nigeria.
Telefax:234-42-457033

BUSINESS PROPOSAL

I have the honour and confidence to introduce to you this business in view
fact that you are trustworthy and reliable.
I am Dr. M.C. MBANEFO the eastern district bank manager of United Bank For
Africa Plc (UBA). There is an account opened in my bank in 1980 and since
1990 nobody has operated this account. After intensive investigations, I
discovered that the owner of this account was a foreigner and owner of U.
Martins Co Ltd., who died in 1990 and the account has no beneficiary. My
investigations proved also that his company knows thing about this account.
The amount involved is 26 million US$ (twenty six million) only.
In the light of the above fact, I will need your assistance. I urge you to
open your door to this opportunity by providing your account or any account
of your choice where the fund will be remitted.
Your assistance as a foreigner is necessary because the management is ready
to welcome any person, a foreigner who has all necessary and correct
information relating to this account, which I am willing to give you
immediately, if you are interested to conclude this transaction with me. You
should be informed strictly that all documentations will be destroyed in
your presence immediately after this money has been remitted to your account
and you should bear in mind that we shall meet for sharing in your country.
I will apply for annual leave immediately I learn you are ready to assist in
receiving this fund in your account. This is to enable me use my position
and influence to effect the onward transfer of the money to your desired
account.
At the conclusion of this business, you will be given 40% of the total
amount, 60% will be for us.
I look forward to your earnest reply by TeleFax on 234-42-457033.

Yours truly,

Dr. M.C. MBANEFO.

  • Fraud, Joe Komenda, 09/07/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Fraud, Rafe Colburn, 09/07/2000
    • Re: Fraud, saundrakaerubel.com, 09/07/2000