internetworkers - fighting geeks

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Thomas A. Beckett" <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: fighting geeks
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 20:49:08 -0400

I've been practicing Aikido for about nine months and really like it.
I've noticed that a significant proportion of the folks in my dojo are
geeks of some sort or another, mostly computer and engineering types.
It got me to thinking about that overlap on interest: technology and
martial arts.

I know of a few people in this group who are active or past
practitioners of arts including Taichi, Wing Chun, Aikido and Karate.
Even Dykki was doing Capoeria for a while. I wonder who else among us
is a fighting geek? What is it about your practice that keeps you
interested? Please share your experience.

TaB