internetworkers - Re: moral dilemma

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Greg Cox <glcox AT pobox.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: moral dilemma
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 09:04:06 -0400 (EDT)

> ...say your interactive media company was approached to redesign a web site
> for a land developer (one that buys parcels of land, farm land perhaps, and
> builds suburban communities. ...maybe like Meadowmont in Chapel Hill.)

You're going to have to help me here. Maybe it's because I went to State
and I didn't learn to hug only organically-grown free-range trees
painstakingly handcrafted with love by small tribes of indigenous vegan
Chapel Hillians, but I don't see the problem.

> pro's: people buy this company's homes; seem to like them; jobs for
> construction people, etc.
> cons: An e-commerce site like this for a land developer might be like high
> altitude bombing, since the affect on the ground isn't really known, not
> like actually being on the ground.

Mmmm, high altitude.

Er, anyway. Since I think a web site for land, a business that's inherently
done in a paper-pushing manner, isn't really helpful (i.e. one spouse won't
say to another, "Honey, hand me your Visa, I think I found a couple of things
I want online," anytime soon), I think balking about their web site would
less of the right thing to do than balking at the company and their business
practices to groups who have the power to yank permits.

> So what would your company do?

I'd take the job, but, as I said, I don't see what the problem is. If it's
squicking you enough to move you to ask the question, then it may be a
problem to you, and I'm not sure what any of us can say to change that.