internetworkers - Re: most massive internet concentration moves to DC

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: most massive internet concentration moves to DC
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 15:32:13 -0400

I think geography does matter at some level, still. Folks will not
take you as seriously if you're in Cletusville, rather than some hi-tech
center. It is a matter of association. If you're from Silicon Valley
or a Beltway Bandit, you'll be associated with happening places, hot
businesses and the other bright people that work there. If you're from
Cletusville, you'll be associated with, well, hogs & hicks. Therein
lies the sting of headings like "Played-out Farm Land"

Tom

David Parker wrote:
> It seems to me that the list of places that are, or are destined to
> become, "the next Silicon Valley" changes every year. Given the way the
> Internet has shrunk the world--as shown by hesketh.com's list of
> clients--does it matter where we are located? As long as I have all the
> appropriate technology available to me, couldn't I make a name for
> myself working out of Cletusville, Alabama?
>
> --Dave P.
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as: thomas AT tbeckett.com

  • Re: most massive internet concentration moves to DC, Thomas Beckett, 10/14/1999