internetworkers - [internetworkers] Blocking unwanted calls

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: raustin3 at nc.rr.com (Roger Austin)
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Blocking unwanted calls
  • Date: Thu Feb 13 17:53:44 2003

We have had troubles and they mostly get worked out. We have TWC
RoadRunner and digital cable. I have had the service people out twice.
The signal just didn't come through to the cable modem though the TV was
working fine. The first young woman was very nice and told me that there
was a problem with my wiring and all the splitters. She put on a new
splitter and chastised me for the way I had three TVs and four VCRs
connected. I didn't understand since the RR service ran fine for a
while, then just died. It was working when she left. She left me with
another splitter that I am to use when I get a wire directly from the
main wire into the cable modem. She told me to replace all my cable wire
in the house since it was an older kind. I didn't know this type of
cable had a life expectancy. Hmmm...

A couple of weeks later (okay, maybe it was months, I don't remember)
the signal would got out occasionally when I was a work and Nileen was
working on misshunt.com. Well, my sweetheart is not the most patient
with technology so I usually got an earful on returning from work. Come
and go, come and go, so finally... nothing. The little green lights
weren't flashing much less the amber one that means you are actually
communicating with the office. I called the magic support number again.

Another nice young woman came out a 9pm on the day they said they
would come between 8-6. She was very efficient and measured the doowaps
on the line. She said they were much too high and the fellows would come
to fix the box out on the pole the next day. She must have fans in the
box fixing area of TWC-RR since a crew of fellows were out in front of
the house the next day and we have been running nicely ever since.

I would go with RR again given my appetite for speed. I use a VPN to
my office so I can work on files and use Outlook without packing a lunch
waiting for it to sync with the Exchange servers. It is really amazing
how you get accustomed to luxury. Enjoy, Roger