internetworkers - [internetworkers] Blocking unwanted calls

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: jeremyp at pobox.com (Jeremy Portzer)
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Blocking unwanted calls
  • Date: Thu Feb 13 14:13:06 2003

> My *outrageously clever* way of avoiding phone spam and other unwanted
> calls has been killing my BellSouth service altogether and just having
> a cell phone. It's a lot cheaper, it has caller-ID and voice mail, and
> the number isn't in the phone book. I don't get spam phone calls
> anymore. And I just look at the phone ID screen when it rings and
> decide whether or not I deem the caller worthy of my precious,
> precious time.

I've done the same and heartily recommend this course of action!

> I don't have a phone line for my computer at the moment, though, and that's
> gotta change soon. Does BellSouth have a deal where you can get a line that
> is solely for data use? I've been looking around their (useless) Web
> site and can't find anything about it.

Not sure what you mean by a "data use only" line. POTS lines (plain old
telephone service) come in one form only, Bellsouth doesn't care whether
you use it for data or voice. Just don't hook up a phone or answering
machine, if you don't want to hear the phone spam calls.

But why don't you consider getting broadband access, such as Earthlink
or Road Runner cable Internet, instead of a phone line? Or even DSL
service from Bellsouth?

A phone line costs about $22/mo. minimum. Dialup Internet service costs
about $15/month minimum. That's $37/mo. For just $41.95/mo. you can
have Earthlink cable service which gives you much much faster speed, the
always-on connection, etc. It's been well worth it in my opinion!

--Jeremy