ibiblio-announce - [ibiblio-announce] mail.ibiblio.org email handling stops April 30

ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: ibiblio services/changes announcement list

  • From: John Reuning <john AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ibiblio-announce] mail.ibiblio.org email handling stops April 30
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 16:32:13 -0400

What: mail.ibiblio.org will stop routing email messages
When: April 30, 2011

We've almost reached the end of migrating email handling to google for
non-ibiblio.org domains. This includes a lot of .org and .net
domains, plus metalab.unc.edu. On April 30, we will do the following:

* Route metalab.unc.edu email to google apps (the same thing that
handles ibiblio.org email).

* Drop email support for any .org or .net domain whose primary
contacts have not responded to our communications. We assume that a
lack of response means the email address isn't used. This does *not*
affect web sites, just email.

* Disable all inbound and outbound email on mail.ibiblio.org. A few
people have used mail.ibiblio.org as an outbound email server. If
this is you, please switch to your local ISP or to the gmail servers.
We will continue to support POP and IMAP on mail.ibiblio.org for those
who need to archive an inbox and/or old mailboxes. I'm tentatively
looking at a June 1st deadline on email archiving. However, I'll send
information in separate announcements on this topic.

A last communication has gone out to those with metalab.unc.edu email
addresses. We will disable metalab email addresses unless you respond
that you are actively using the address.

Finally, if you haven't received any communications about these email
changes and think you should have, please open a help ticket at
http://www.ibiblio.org/help/

Thanks,

-John R.

  • [ibiblio-announce] mail.ibiblio.org email handling stops April 30, John Reuning, 04/19/2011