ibiblio-announce - [ibiblio-announce] oopsie

ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: ibiblio services/changes announcement list

  • From: Don Sizemore <dls AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: ibiblio-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ibiblio-announce] oopsie
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 11:04:28 -0500 (EST)

Hi ibiblio-announce,

If your site is hosted on our main site (or is a virtual host still served out of /public/html), we're requesting your assistance.

An administrative typo started recursively removing files and directories in /public/html about 20 minutes ago. The typer of the typo caught and cancelled the process, but things(TM) have been deleted. Our Netapp filer's snapshots will save us here, but due to the sheer size of our filesystem we can't simply rsync the most recent snapshot back into /public/html (and this might not be a good idea for several reasons).

Sooooo, we're going to begin checking our top-level pages and Collections Index for broken links, etc. Please do help us expedite this process by checking your web site, and submit a ticket via our help form at http://www.ibiblio.org/help

I would like to stress that nothing has been *lost*, merely moved first into our filer snapshots, then onto to the campus backup server - which keeps files for a period of four months. Restoring our files will merely be a matter of moving everything back into place.

We're very sorry for the trouble, we're working to correct the error, and we thank you for your patience and understanding.

thank you, 919.962.5646 w
donald sizemore, ii 919.260.4915 c
ibiblio.org systems 919.962.8071 f

  • [ibiblio-announce] oopsie, Don Sizemore, 01/11/2008