homestead - [Homestead] thinking about death

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT gmail.com>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] thinking about death
  • Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 02:15:29 -0400

Tough subject...
Funerals are for the living, so they say, so with that in mind, I am trying to plan my own 'event'.
I'm not a church-goer, so having a traditional funeral in a church is just not me. I intend to donate my body to science, so there would only be a 'memorial' I suppose. I would prefer it to be outside, maybe even on my own land. People could stand up and say whatever they felt like saying.
No chairs, nothing fancy, just bring some blankets and picnic on the grass.
I like the idea of releasing a single dove, and I really bagpipes, but I can't figure out how to unite those two things in a service...fireworks would be kind of cool, too. I think I would like music, but I don't know about the logistics of that if we are in a pasture. I just can't wrap my mind around what I might want..

Has anyone planned their own 'funeral'?
Does anyone have any other secular or non-traditional ideas? Pagan rites? Buddhist chants? poems?

I want people to reflect enough on life that they live stronger, but I don't want it to be depressing. I don't want it to degrade into drunken debauchery, either.

--
EarthNSky Farm 34.498N 85.076W
SISU! (Finnish--There is no single word in English that encompasses