homestead - Re: [Homestead] Seed saving 101

  • From: Keith Addison <keith AT journeytoforever.org>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Seed saving 101
  • Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 02:28:44 +0900

Greetings Bev

Lisa Erwin has produced a useful guide to seed saving for community food security. Particulars about seed sources and regional growing notes apply to the U.S., but the guide will be useful anywhere. Free download - there's a PDF version here: <http://mindspinner.net/docs/SeedSaving1-0.pdf> (344 kb, 48 pages) and an editable Word version here: <http://mindspinner.net/docs/SeedSaving1-0.doc> (476 kb). Anyone is free to revise in order to customize the doc for a particular region.

Hope it helps - all best

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
http://journeytoforever.org/

I don't save as much seed as I could. I think that in the future it
will be even more important to save seed, because I am increasingly
distrustful of seed companies in general. I'd like to hear how some of
you save seed from things like the brassicas or radishes. Do you use
paper bags? How do you affix the bag? Do you bend the stem or leave it
upright? How do you judge when the to put the bag on? When I have
tried this in the past, I have mis-timed the seed ripening and put the
bag on too early. Does anyone use plastic instead of paper? It would
be nice to see the seed/flower through the bag, but I think the
greenhouse effect might generate too much heat and moisture. '
So, if anyone is up for writing up a Seed Saving 101 tutorial, I'd love it.
Obviously, I save my tomato, peppers, squash, beans, sunflowers, and
corn seeds...large seeds, no problema. It is the small seeds that give
me pause.

Also, I'd like to hear how people store their seeds from year to year.

Bev
--
I am having an out-of-money experience.
EarthNSky Farm, Northwest Georgia, USA