homestead - Re: [Homestead] Seed saving 101

  • From: Lisa Kae Van Meter Perry <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Seed saving 101
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 13:42:09 -0500

Which seeds truly last just one year? I'd read lettuce is on that list, but
I've had lettuce grow that was 3 years old (though very poor germination). I
think onion is on the short list as well. Guess my question is what seed do
you not save and buy new? Guess these would be seeds you'd do without if you
could not get new seed.

My garden isn't large enough (yet, perhaps down the road) to grow assorted
vegetables 25-50-100' feet away from a different variety of same type. I
could plant some tomatoes 25' apart but currently do not do that, I keep
them together. Do you save seed from heirlooms anyway knowing that the saved
seed will not be 100% true to type? My thinking is that it doesn't matter
much, as long as the new seed produces a similar plant w/ similar fruit.
Correct or not?

Thanks.

Lisa
sw VA