homestead - Re: [Homestead] Hops into action

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Hops into action
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 18:40:47 -0800

No, no, no, you can't use butter <g> I can hear Noni and DH's grandmother (from Naples) turning over in their graves as I type! EVOO is the only oil to touch a sauce! And no garlic????? That is a crime against nature!

You could tell around the neighborhood when Noni was making up a big pot of sauce. The bell peppers and garlic heads would be slathered in EVOO and on the BBQ roasting while she was blanching tomatoes in the house prior to peeling (that's where the majority of the acid is).

The onion would be carmelizing in a little EVOO. Then in would go the peeled tomatoes. While the tomatoes and onions were simmering, she'd peel the bell peppers and dice them up and toss them in (setting aside one to julliene to put on top a pizza) and then squish out the garlic and blade it with a little salt and pepper and toss it in the sauce.

Then came the herbs: parsley, rosemary, oregano, basil, thyme and a pinch of sage.

Noni said the herbs went in last for the "gusto del sole."

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <paxamicus AT earthlink.net>

*g* I have no doubt anyone coming away from your table is as well fed
and sated with pleasure as it is possible to be. I do most of what you
mention below but I think maybe our main difference, if I am
remembering correctly, is that you are doing a Chicago-style, right?
So lavish is the word. I tend to do the spare Neopolitan style unless
I have really, really, really good sausage.

I am now going to impart to you THE BEST TOMATO SAUCE EVER. Listen up,
now, 'cause this is a biggie.

Cut an onion in half (it's best if you can leave the root intact) and
put an entire half into a pot with a few tablespoons of butter. Dump
in a pound-ish of tomatoes. The better the tomatoes the better the
sauce. As chunky or smooth as you like. I like to skin 'em first.
Simmer very gently for half an hour or so.
Remove onion and salt to taste. If you used salted butter you might
find you can skip this. If your tomatoes were acidic, you can
sprinkle the teeniest amount of sugar, but go very, very sparingly.
That's it. The more you let it simmer the thicker it gets.

I know, it sounds so basic as to be boring. And I know you are
thinking, "What is that woman thinking, there is no garlic in there.
WHY take the onion out, I love onion? Who makes sauce without basil?
No oregano? No bay leaf? No hours of simmering?"

This is Marcella Hazan's onion butter sauce. It is THE BEST. With
fresh tomatoes right out of the garden, it is eden for your mouth.

I mash the cooked onion into cheese or beans or potatoes.

Uuuuumummmmmm summer tomato sauce...

We need to have a pizza cook-in/ brew testing party.