homestead - Re: [Homestead] Garlic, was Re: Hops into action

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Garlic, was Re: Hops into action
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 09:10:14 -0700

On Mar 31, 2008, at 8:59 AM, paxamicus AT earthlink.net wrote:

I missed out on the horse incident. Was it fun?

I nearly cried. Possibly the best-prepared garlic bed and planting ever. Was ten inches tall when I left for Phoenix just before Thanksgiving. Returned in April to find every single plant pulled and gone. Horse sign everywhere. Either the horses ate them or the horse owners stole them. I lean toward the former.

I think my biggest issue is air flow, when I'm storing garlic. Also, I
don't really have a good pantry. I used to use the dining room which
is log, and banked in, and cool, but Roy turnt it into a radio room.

Well, use the coldest place in the house.

A simple cellar can be built of a buried barrel. Ventilation would be the challenge.

You are probably best advised to make the salsa and can or freeze it.