homestead - Re: [Homestead] Has Anyone Read

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Has Anyone Read
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 21:21:44 -0800

I've spent all my gardening life between two places. One was "wine" country with lots of red clay but with equal areas of "black" gold soil that one could easily acquire. That plus mulch made for some great growing. Toss some seeds and forget it, more or less.

The rest of the time was spent on the coast where you could practically use your hands to "till" the soil. One had to get a bit creative to get enough heat for some veggies but, again, easily achieved.

Both of these areas had long growing seasons and no hard frosts.

Now we are living in a VERY short growing season, the soil grows pines and oaks and rocks. Cold as all get out in the winter, hotter en h*ll in the summer.

His current location is in "real" Northern California and the area has about the same type soil and length of growing season and temps for winter and summer. Someone said he discusses his particular area and how to make that area more productive. I'm not really interested in double digging. Just some info about someone who has btdt with this type climate and soil.

Although, it would be interesting to see how the heck he double dug where he is now! You seriously can't dig anything unless you use a pick ax and a digging bar to get rid of the rocks!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeanne Driese" <jeanne13 AT earthlink.net>

Lynda,
Forgot to add that I have never done the double digging! Gene is right about all the tech info, but I found way more info to use than to discard. Besides I was teaching folks who had no idea that soil was alive and really more important than the plants when it comes to having a garden that feeds you well.
Guess it is going to depend on what it is you are looking for!
Like James I tend toward mulch and trying not to disturb the soil.